Saturday, February 10, 2007

Living a Textured Life

I've been knitting a lot since about the first of December. I'm in love with all the wonderful yarns available now-adays, and it's a good, not-much-thinking pastime in the evening. Helps me stay awake a little longer. But it's also held some significance--there's been something happening in my heart as I've persued this little pastime. I think it hit me this morning--I want to live a fully textured life. Until I turned 40, most of my life was spent doing what was expected, believing everything I had been taught, not questioning for myself--a pretty plain-surfaced life. The yarn woven into my life was what I learned to knit on many years ago, plain and boring. But something happened at 40, and I began to ask some questions, and think for myself. And my life began to be more "textured". Over the last 3 years, it's even become more colorful--like all the yarns at my local Hobby Lobby, some soft and silky, flat and wide, rough, smooth, brightly colored, and muted shades. There's still the plain ole yarn that I first learned to knit on years ago, but I'll quickly pass it up and grab something with a little more gusto! I've decided that I like color and I like texture--I like thinking for myself. I like asking questions more than I like getting answers. I like taking risks more than I like being safe. I figure by the time I reach 60 (not too far off, mind you), I might be ready to knit one of those "artistic" scarfs, that's made of all kinds of scraps, an eclectic mix of everything life has had to offer. And that's the way I'm determined to live my life--creatively, artistically, colorfully, and FULLY TEXTURED!

1 comment:

SUSAN said...

Here's to living the FULL-TEXTURED LIFE! I love this photo, especially with your hand immersed in the texture! Truly one of those "picture paints a thousand words" photos!

I'll just say AMEN! to everything you wrote!

Susan