Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Recipe to Warm the Tummy

It's been cold and rainy here--raining for 10 days straight. I've been cold to the bone now for several days. I know that "cold" is a relative term, but you have to remember that I live almost as far south as one can go in Texas, without landing in the Gulf, and it doesn't take much for my thin blood to turn to ice. So it was nice the other day when I opened my email and found this recipe for Hot Buttered Rum from my dear "Yankee" friend, Carmen, who lives in Kansas. I made a batch up tonight, and it was very good, but it will take about 5 years worth of cold rainy South Texas nights to use up this recipe! :) One other little hint--when Carmen says to "fill with boiling water", she means fill with boiling water. Impatient as I was, I didn't wait for the water to boil--not thinking of the fact I was pouring it over "ice cream". DUH! so my Hot Buttered Rum was semi-warm this first time! Next time, I'll know better!

Hot Buttered Rum

1 pound butter, softened
1 pound light brown sugar
1 pound powdered sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 quart Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream, softened
light rum
whipped cream
grated nutmeg

Combine butter, sugars, and spices; beat until light and fluffy. Add ice cream and beat until well blended. Freeze

To serve, place 4 TBS. frozen mixture and 1 jigger of rum in a large mug. Fill with boiling water and stir well. Top with whipped cream, sprinle with grated nutmeg. Garnish each mug with a cinnamon stick as a stirrer.

And o, yeah, weight watcher's it's not! :) Enjoy!


3 comments:

SUSAN said...

You are getting such nice, bright photos indoors. I'm jealous! ;-) What kind of camera are you using? What light setting?

That buttered rum looks delicious. Maybe we can make some at Karen's house. :-)

Susan

Sheila Conner said...

I'm using my Sony digital, and I don't have a clue about the light setting. I don't have much camera savy--but I DO know that setting things against a dark background make the colors show up better. :) Now, spiritualize THAT! :)

I'll bring the rum thing to Karen's--I have TONS of it! :)

Karen said...

Lets do make some. I've printed I'll have all the stuff made so all we have to do it add the hot water. I sure do hope it's cold.