Sunday, January 28, 2007

Potentiality

Little acorns--yet, what potential lies in a little acorn. Doesn't appear to have a large oak tree inside, does it? Yet that's the potential. But only a few acorns make it to oak tree. This morning, as I was preparing these acorns to be used in day of prayer at my church next month, I wound up a little meloncholy considering those acorns that don't reach their full potential--that never become a giant oak tree. We're not even through January of this new year, and already three families that I'm connected to in some way have lost young people. First, my friend Bunny lost a 19-year old granson to the war in Iraq, then another friend, Kristi, lost a 16-year old niece in a car accident. And last night, a young man from our church lost his battle with cancer. Lost potential--no chance to become full-grown oak trees. Yet, somehow each of these kids filled the years they lived with purpose. Their lives marked many, many people. They made a difference. Still, I don't want to lose anymore kids. I want the acorns to fulfill their destiny so they can shade our world. I want kids to grow up and live to be old men and women.

No comments: