Thursday, January 25, 2007

My Outdoor Alter

I spent some time with a friend this past summer in Leaky, Texas, and she graciously allowed me to bring home these souvenirs. It's a lovely reminder of a special moment in time--a time of being connected to the earth. I've spent most of my life in my imagination, trying desperately to become spiritual, disconnected from the earth and it's physical blessings. Over the past couple of years, I begun to appreciate the stones, the earth, being a part of this physical place. These rocks remind me that even God appreciated the physical so much that incarnation happened. I believe incarnation continues to happen--God becoming physical all around us, every day, in every way. At the top left is my personal baptismal font--it collects the most precious holy water of all--rain water. I often bless myself and to sprinkle it all around me, blessing the earth and all her treasure.

2 comments:

SUSAN said...

Last night I was thinking about making a spiritual place, an altar of sorts, in my bedroom. I have one small corner area that is empty and I haven't been able to figure out what to put there. Right now I'm thinking of something very simple...small table, substantial candle to focus and pray by. I LOVE your outdoor altar!!

Susan

Sheila Conner said...

My mantle has been my "alter" for many years. It changes often. It took me a while to notice that only things that meant something at the time would go up there. Now I watch it and observe it. And I note it when it's empty--which has happened before. Nothing seems to work, and there's just space for a while. That's important, too.