Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Signs of Spring

We're headed into my favorite time of the year, when things begin to wake up, and all the gray turns to color. My yard needs a lot of work right now, but through the eyes of a camera, you'll never know! :)
Our lemon trees are full of buds--just what I need, more lemons! These are ponderosa lemons, and they're the size of large grapefruit when ripe. And our little tree puts out a bunch of them. One can only eat so many lemon pies!
These are babies. They won't be ready until this fall, and they'll finally be bright yellow and huge. There's a LOT of peel, but when you get to it, the lemon's really good. Jim's mom used to get three lemon pies from each lemon. I don't need more than a couple of lemon pies a year, so we give most of them away. It's a good thing you can freeze the juice and rind, but even then, I have more than I'll ever use. Makes for a good conversation, though!
And the trees will be breaking out in green in another week or two. Some of them across the creek are already light green (itty bitty leaves). This tree is full of leaf buds out my kitchen window, but couldn't get a very good picture from the ground. I love Spring and Summer, in spite of the hot. It's just a pretty time of year. There's a reason I live down South, you know!

3 comments:

Rebecon said...

mmmm... lemon pies....

Ampersand said...

Oh, I am so emjoying seeing signs of spring on others' blogs. Your lemon trees are amazing.

SUSAN said...

I love homegrown lemons. I eat them with salt! I will take any extras off your hands. hehe

Gorgeous spring photos!

Susan