Sunday, March 25, 2007

A Day with Mother

I've kind of neglected Mother all week, and both of us were feeling a little dumpy the last couple of days, so we took a day off to "go" and see. She had heard that a replica of the Nina was in Baytown, so I looked and sure enough, it was docked at the Marina. She's a history buff, so off we went. She was thrilled to get to go on it and to listen to the history talk, and to just imagine Columbus and his crew of 25 + animals and passengers on a little boat like this. We figured either he and the folks with him were brave--or a little crazy! Her biggest wonder was how 25 men could sleep on the deck with all the snoring, belching, farting, etc...:) We are both very private people who enjoy our quiet, and this was just a little too close quarters for us!
After Baytown Marina, we headed toward Texas City to see the art exhibit hanging there (including two of my paintings), and we happened on Tookies, Jim's favorite hamburger place, so we stopped for a "bean burger". They're fabulous--big juicy beef burgers, refried beans, and crushed fritos! To die for! And Tookie's is a lot of atmosphere! You get the picture? We had a really good day, and I think it did us both a lot of good!

2 comments:

SUSAN said...

Fun Times! I can't imagine beans & fritos on a burger but I'll take your word for it that it was good. hehe
We grilled burgers today and I had bbq sauce & sharp cheddar on mine. YUM.

Good photos!

Susan

Ampersand said...

Great day with Mom, I love that!