Friday, April 6, 2007

A Wonderful Day

Back row, left to right: Helen, Sheila, Jeanette, Linda, Ginger, Nancy, Sharlyn, Adalia
Front row, left to right: Lil' Anna, Annie, Barbara, and Tina. We're minus another Nancy and Sherry--we missed YOU!

Meet a delicious group of women--this is our Artist Way Circle, a group of committed women (minus 2) who have met every week for 8 weeks so far. We are tapping into our creative side and becoming even more creative in our coming together to do it. Yesterday we took a "play date" and went to Houston to the Museum of Fine Arts to see the masterpieces of French painting on loan from the Metropolitan Museum of Art--the Impressionist period and more. I must confess that I've never studied the old Masters, much less seen more than photographs of their work, so I was like a kid in a candy store--actually, the feeling was much deeper, but I can't describe it. It was way more than I expected.

One of the first paintings to strike me was Marie Denise Villos painting of A Young Woman Drawing. The light was incredible, and her eyes caught mine as she looked into my soul. I was stunned, and could have spent more time just sitting and looking at her. It was as if she knew me--or she knew something about me that perhaps I don't even know about myself.

And I really enjoyed te nudes painted by Jean Disire-Gustov Corbet. He was a "bab boy" whose work was sometimes condemned for being "crude", all because he included the hair under their arms or because his paintings were more realistic. Several of us mentioned the fact that someone suggested he paint angels in one of his more sensual paintings--to help it be more acceptable, and he said he would, if they could show him an angel. I especially loved his nudes in and around water, and the one I saw of the lady with the parrot. Beautiful! And yes, sensual!

But my breath was taken away as I entered the room that contained Monet's paintings. I remember back when I was in high school--he's the only artist that I remember talking about, and I knew I liked his work. I imagined myself being an impressionist artist because of him. But you know, that was a long time ago, and sometimes I think I made it all up--but when I stepped into the room, I cried. It was like coming home in a strange sort of way. O my gosh, I loved his paintings. I loved the energy, the color, the brush strokes--and I remembered, "Yes, my memories were real, and he really was my inspiration."

I could go on and on, but I won't--instead I'll move us to the next part of the day. Annie booked us reservations at this lovely restaurant, and o my! We felt so elegant and so fabulously treated as we walked into this little restaurant on Alabama street.

Pure elegance, inside and outside. Annie had gotten reservations for us out on the patio. The sky was blue, the air was dry (for a change) and cool and clear. There was a magnificent fountain and lots of lush plants all around. The service was impeccible, and the food was absolute sheer delight.
I got a beautiful grilled salmon steak, served with a salad, wine, sorbet for dessert...and absolutely some of the best company anywhere. There was laughter and enthusiasm delight as we shared a long leisurely lunch with each other. We're already thinking about it--we really must take a trip together!

Thank you ladies for being a scrumptious part of my life! I love all of you a whole bunch!


2 comments:

SUSAN said...

Sounds like a scrumptious day! I'm pretty sure I've been to that restaurant, long ago in a galaxy far far away. I really like Monet too!

Susan

Ampersand said...

I ask you, what is better than a group of women-friends?!?